“Less buying, more renting” can we also add to the prescription list*.
Some retailers – in different sectors – progressively adopted this solution.
They adapted their offer, not by a new product but by offering new services.
– Leroy Merlin (DIY) is piloting free rental of tools : the “Comm’1outil” service. Customers can rent tools for free for 48 hours, via a Facebook application.
Leroy Merlin works the assumption that they rented good would never buy; but people come into the shop to get their rented equipment, and also very probably buy some stuff they need to own, not to use.
– The same principle is developed by Fnac (Music with its “Pass location” proposed for Apple products.
Using as a need, owning as a choice : a very likely major trend…
* Cf our previous post “Less buying… a trend (1/5)”
– “Leroy-Merlin teste la location gratuite d’outil” – LSA 19 septembre 2014 – here (Fr)
– “La Fnac passe à la location” CB News – 26 mai 2014 –here (Fr)